Dayton Community Development Association is sponsoring the 1st Annual Community Scarecrow Contest! This event is FREE and open to any and all residents and businesses in Dayton. We hope to foster a fun, creative contest for Dayton Township to grow our population… one scarecrow at a time! Register and put up your scarecrow by October 2nd to participate! See contest rules and how to register below.
2020 Dayton Community Scarecrow Contest Rules
FREE! Open to all residents and business.
- 1st place: $100, plus a gift card to local business
- 2nd place: $75, plus a gift card to local business
- 3rd place: $50, plus a gift card to local business
- DCDA President’s Choice Award: Trophy, plus gift card to local business
How to enter: Register online; or download & print the registration form or pick up a physical form at Alacrity Salon or The By-Pass Bar & Grill and return it to PO Box 237, Dayton, OR 97114.
Construction: Scarecrows must be hand-made. Display needs to be able to handle the weather. Feel free to use props like straw bales, corn stalks, etc. Power for moving parts is allowed.
Décor: This is a family friendly contest. Bloody or violent themes are not allowed, nor are advertising, political or religious statements. DCDA reserves the right to disqualify any entry.
Display: Scarecrows must be displayed outside of your residence (or business) on your property. As needed, and with their permission, you can display your scarecrow in a neighbor’s yard.
Scarecrow Photo: DCDA will send a photographer on Oct 3-4 to take pictures of each scarecrow and upload to our Facebook page for voting.
Identifying sign: When you register, we will provide a registration number on a weather-proof sign. This sign needs to be prominently displayed with your scarecrow, and included in the photo we take on Oct 3-4. This will help with voting.
Judging: Voting will be done on our social media site by community members. The number of “likes” will determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Places. The DCDA President’s Choice Award will be based on creativity and overall display.
- Register, create and put up your scarecrow: By October 2nd
- DCDA photographer will take photos of entered scarecrows: Oct 3 & 4
- DCDA will upload photos to an album on our Facebook page for viewing and judging. Judging (“like” your favorites) online at our Facebook page: Oct 8-18
- Winners will be announced: Week of October 18
- Scarecrows on display: until October 31 (or longer, if you wish)
The Dayton Community Development Association may use the photographs of the entries for publicity in future posters, on our website and on our Facebook page.